Oncology Nurse Navigator RN FT
Cancer care is all we do
Hope in healing
Cancer Treatment Centers of America® (CTCA), part of City of Hope, takes a unique and integrative approach to cancer care. Our patient-centered care model is founded on a commitment to personalized medicine, tailoring a combination of treatments to the needs of each individual patient. At the same time, we support patients’ quality of life by offering therapies designed to help them manage the side effects of treatment, addressing their physical, spiritual and emotional needs, so they are better able to stay on their treatment regimens and get back to life. At the core of our whole-person approach is what we call the Mother Standard® of care, so named because it requires that we treat our patients, and one another, like we would want our loved ones to be treated. This innovative approach has earned our hospitals a Best Place to Work distinction and numerous accreditations. Each of us has a stake in the successful outcomes of every patient we treat.
- Assesses, plans, implements, evaluates, and documents the care of medical/surgical, ambulatory care and same-day surgery patients. Assists with special procedures. Directs the care delivered by Patient Care Technicians and other members of the healthcare team.
- Adheres to the hospital and department infection control policies including but not limited to hand hygiene, asepsis, isolation practice, and employee health practice.
- Effectively and efficiently triages patient medical issues either in person or by telephone. Intervenes appropriately with use of orders and/or consultation with the interdisciplinary health care team. Provides professional nursing services to address patient’s health and other related issues in cooperation with other clinical and clerical team members.
- Works as a part of the team as a resource to facilitate communication and services between physicians, patients, families, and other healthcare team members including external health agencies to facilitate the plan of care. Provides patient education, utilizing appropriate resources to meet the needs of the patient and documents education in EHR.
- Assists in the on-boarding of new stakeholders.
- Protects the patient’s dignity, rights, and privacy.
- Assesses the knowledge level of the patient or designated support person.
- Delegate tasks according to the Arizona Nurse Practice Act and job descriptions.
- Document nursing care, implants, and specimens accurately, completely, and legibly.
- Works as a part of the healthcare team to provide excellent patient care to increase patient satisfaction and retention. Works to achieve positive outcomes, and resolution of variances. Covers for other members of the team to ensure efficient delivery of service to the patient.
- Maintain required competencies.
Oncology Nurse Navigator
Provides disease management with an understanding of oncology, chemotherapy, and side effects, can monitor and address symptoms. Works with patients and families to provide an understanding of their disease, their treatment plans, and address patient quality of life issues. Documents assessment and interventions, entering in a timely manner in the electronic medical record. Collaborates with and supports providers with daily assistance in managing and coordinating patient care. Evaluates and assesses health issues presented by patients and their caregiver; communicates pertinent and necessary issues to the patient.
- Completion of Chemotherapy HealthStream Bundle before completion of nursing orientation.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills to manage complex patient and family needs.
- Conducts and reinforces patient education, including treatment plan/regimen, financial implications of care, symptom management, side effects, patient family responsibilities related to self-care, and available resources at home or at facility.
- Assesses needs and coordinates services, internally and externally to meet needs including, but not limited to medications, equipment, and home care services. Utilizes nursing processes and evidenced based practice/research to lead and coordinate patient care to positive impact on patients and department operations.
- Responds in a timely manner to patient and family needs at home through effective symptom management, coordination of home care services and crisis management.
- Works under varied levels of supervision; may oversee work of LPNs, collaborates with physician to provide guidance to MAs or other ancillary nursing staff.
- Administer medications via all routes, using the 6 rights, medication bar scanner and monitoring patient for side effects.
- Ability to collect blood specimens and blood cultures.
- Ability to care for patients with IV lines, central lines, and ports.
- Maintenance and care of patients with ostomy/ileostomy and urostomy.
- Care and assess wounds, suture removal, application of surgical tape and wound drain removal.
- Utilizes Follow Up Board tasks to effectively manage patient follow-up and current patient status.
- Ensures timely response to Secure Health Messages (SHM) from patients or caregivers.
- Involved in the assessment, planning, and care of patients who undergo diagnostic, interventional, and therapeutic procedures. Provides nursing support to technologists in all Radiology modalities as needed.
Experience:1-year experience in area
Education: Associate Degree in Nursing or equivalent
Licensure: Arizona Registered Nurse License or a Registered Nurse License form a Compact State
Certification: Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification- an approved American Heart Association (AHA) training site, American Safety & Health Institute, or Red Cross BLS certification is required upon hire.
- If their current certification does not meet the guidelines, stakeholders will have (30) days from the date of hire to acquire attend an onsite initial BLS course and will be required to renew every two years.
Pursue professional growth and keep current with technology.
Completes additional duties as assigned.
Each CTCA employee is a Stakeholder, driven to make a true difference and help win the fight against cancer. Each day is a challenge, but this unique experience comes with rewards that you may never have thought possible. To ensure each team member brings his or her best self, we offer exceptional support and immersive training to encourage your personal and professional growth. If you’re ready to be part of something bigger and work with a passionate, dynamic group of care professionals, we invite you to join us. Visit: Jobs.cancercenter.com to begin your journey.
We win together
Each CTCA employee is a Stakeholder, driven to make a true difference and help win the fight against cancer. Each day is a challenge, but this unique experience comes with rewards that you may never have thought possible. To ensure each team member brings his or her best self, we offer exceptional support and immersive training to encourage your personal and professional growth. If you’re ready to be part of something bigger and work with a passionate, dynamic group of care professionals, we invite you to join us.
Visit: Jobs.cancercenter.com to begin your journey.