Surgical Technician - Per Diem
Cancer care is all we do
Hope in healing
Cancer Treatment Centers of America® (CTCA), part of City of Hope, takes a unique and integrative approach to cancer care. Our patient-centered care model is founded on a commitment to personalized medicine, tailoring a combination of treatments to the needs of each individual patient. At the same time, we support patients’ quality of life by offering therapies designed to help them manage the side effects of treatment, addressing their physical, spiritual and emotional needs, so they are better able to stay on their treatment regimens and get back to life. At the core of our whole-person approach is what we call the Mother Standard® of care, so named because it requires that we treat our patients, and one another, like we would want our loved ones to be treated. This innovative approach has earned our hospitals a Best Place to Work distinction and numerous accreditations. Each of us has a stake in the successful outcomes of every patient we treat.
Surgical Technicians are an integral part of the team of medical practitioners providing surgical care to patients. Sr. Surgical technicians work under the supervision of a surgeon and circulating RN to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical procedures, ensuring that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. Sr. Surgical technicians are individuals with specialized education who function as members of the surgical team in the role of scrub person.
- The scrub surgical technician handles the instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary during the surgical procedure.
- Knowledge of identification of surgical instruments, their care, storage, and sterilization.
- Appropriately sets up sterile table with instruments, supplies, equipment, and medications/solutions needed for procedure.
- Checks equipment for safety and suctioning and opens sterile supplies.
- Has an understanding of the procedure being performed and anticipates the needs of the surgeon.
- Checks supplies and equipment needed for surgical procedure.
- Assists the surgical team with the donning of surgical gowns, self-gowns, setup of sterile field, assists with draping the patients and accounts for all surgical items used on the sterile field.
- Has the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure safe, quality patient care before, during, and post operatively and maintains a constant state of vigilance of the sterile field.
- Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during procedure.
- Assists in the preparation of the operative site and assists with the proper and safe positioning of the patient on the operating table.
- Safely breaks down the contaminated set up after completion of the case in a manner that prevents the spread of contamination.
- Performs appropriate counts with circulating RN prior to the operation and before the incision is closed.
Minimum of two years’ experience of Perioperative Surgical Technician within the past 5 years. Must have inpatient/complex procedure experience.
High School Diploma or GED equivalency
Graduation from an accredited Surgical Technician Training program
American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Certified
Possesses a thorough working knowledge of anatomy, physiology, instruments, suture material, power, specialty equipment, medication and supply terminology
Each CTCA employee is a Stakeholder, driven to make a true difference and help win the fight against cancer. Each day is a challenge, but this unique experience comes with rewards that you may never have thought possible. To ensure each team member brings his or her best self, we offer exceptional support and immersive training to encourage your personal and professional growth. If you’re ready to be part of something bigger and work with a passionate, dynamic group of care professionals, we invite you to join us. Visit: Jobs.cancercenter.com to begin your journey.
We win together
Each CTCA employee is a Stakeholder, driven to make a true difference and help win the fight against cancer. Each day is a challenge, but this unique experience comes with rewards that you may never have thought possible. To ensure each team member brings his or her best self, we offer exceptional support and immersive training to encourage your personal and professional growth. If you’re ready to be part of something bigger and work with a passionate, dynamic group of care professionals, we invite you to join us.
Visit: Jobs.cancercenter.com to begin your journey.